For over 20 years, Scott litigated high-stakes, high-profile, and complex cases for Fortune 500 companies, small businesses, and individuals (from farmers to C-suite executives) in state and federal courts across Texas and the country. He’s mediated, negotiated, or litigated just about every type of civil and commercial dispute. His clients were plaintiffs about as often as they were defendants. He worked for contingent fees and by the hour. Scott practiced at an AmLaw 100 national and international firm, a top-tier Austin-based regional firm, and a small litigation boutique. He’s been in the trenches that you and your clients are in. He understands the toll of litigation on a client’s finances, time, energy, and productivity and that the best solution to nearly every dispute is created by those affected by the dispute—not by a jury, court, or arbitrator who imposes terms that parties can’t control.
He founded Scott Baker Mediation to focus his knowledge, experience, and determination exclusively as a mediator to help individuals and companies resolve disputes on their own terms. Look around the website—or call or email Scott—to learn more about Scott, his approach to mediation, the types of cases that he mediates, and how he can help.
- Qualified and approved mediator for the United States District Court Western District of Texas, San Antonio Division.
- Qualified Mediator, Austin Mediators Association
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale Hubbell Law Directory, the highest peer review rating of Martindale-Hubbell for legal ability and ethical standards. According to Martindale-Hubbell, approximately 10 percent of all attorneys hold an AV Preeminent Rating.
- Named a “Trailblazer in Litigation” by the National Law Journal, ALM Media Properties, LLC (2016).
- Selected to the 2007 Texas “Rising Stars” list in general litigation, 2007 Texas Super Lawyers publication. Thomson Reuters names no more than 2.5 percent of lawyers younger than 40 or in practice 10 years or less to the Rising Stars list each year.
Articles & Presentations
- Captain Call, Yogi Berra, and Other Philosophers: What Their Wise Words Can Teach Us About Mediation, Texas Bar Journal, June 2021 edition.
- Mediated Settlement Agreements: Don’t Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Do At Mediation, Texas Bar Journal, July/August 2020 edition. Reprinted in the State Bar of Texas ADR Section Newsletter, September 2020 edition.
- Remote Mediation: When It Works, How It Works, and Tips to Make It Effective. CLE creator and presenter, Texas Aggie Bar Association and in-house law firm presentations.
- Getting the Most Out of Your Mediation: Tips to Maximize Your Mediation Time. CLE creator and presenter, Capital Area Trial Lawyers Association and in-house law firm presentations.
- Company Relocating to Colorado? Check Your Noncompetition Agreements. Co-author, Colorado Law Week, June 26, 2017.
- Thirty Days Before Trial: Tips for Being Prepared. Co-presenter, The Ultimate Trial Notebook Seminar, Austin Bar Association, 2008.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP, Austin, Texas and Denver, Colorado, 2015 – 2019. Attorney and Mediator.
- Yates Law Firm, LLC, Denver, Colorado, 2008 – 2015. Attorney and Mediator.
- McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, L.L.P., Austin, Texas, 1995 – 2008. Partner.
- Supreme Court of Texas, Austin, Texas. Judicial Intern. 1994.
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1995. Research Assistant to Professor Charles Alan Wright.
- B.S., Economics, Texas A&M University, magna cum laude, 1992.
- Certificate, Professional Mediation Training, University of Denver, University College, 2012.
- Austin Mediators Association, Qualified Mediator
- Association of Attorney-Mediators
- Texas Association of Mediators
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, State Bar of Texas
- Texas Aggie Bar Association
- Texas (1995). See Texas cities and counties in which Scott has experience.
- Colorado (2008).
- U.S. District Courts: Western District of Texas, Southern District of Texas, District of Colorado, District of Maine, and pro hac vice admission in other federal courts.